Sunday, January 09, 2011

Belangkas ( horse shoe crab)

As a small kid growing up in penang , eating a belangkas was not a big deal for me . As a kid i used to scour the beach for belangkas for my own consumption and at times when the supply were aplenty i will sold it for 1 to 2 ringgit each to my neighbour.It was not difficult to find a belangkas back then , my favourite area would be the beach alongside Gelugor(before the highway exist) and the beach where QUEENSBAY mall now sits.
.
Me and my colleague would cycle from Jelutong to Gelugor and in no times we could catch between 3-4 belangkas during high tide. The belangkas would buried itself in the sand and only a small portion of its body will be visible to your naked eye . Normally you will find it in pairs with the female will always be at the bottom and the male at the top.
.
There are many ways you can cook your belangkas , either stir fry it with chilly or just boiled it . As a kid me and my colleague would just throw a live belangkas to an open fire for 10 minutes before consuming it . It will taste a bit like a crab with a strong taste. Nowadays i find it very-very difficult to find one , and i considered myself lucky when i found one selling at the wet market .





belangkas roe




2 comments:

  1. Ni jumpa kat KL ke kat Penang ni?
    Kalo kat KL, mana nak cari?

    Mana la tau nak try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ni aku beli kat pantai remis kuala selangor

    ReplyDelete