Monday, June 06, 2011

Al - fatihah

The madrasah where i used to play with din puting
my late granparent house


I used to live with my grandparent in a small kampung in penang. Growing up in a kampung was very exiciting and full of adventure . Our spare times was filled with activity upon activity. In the morning when the tides was high we would go fishing or horse shoe crab hunting . In the evening when the weather was hot we would lepak in the shades in BUKIT DUMBAR which was only a stone throw away from my grand parent house.Life was good back then without any worries in the world.I guess the spirit of xploring in xplorer was inculcated during these period of times.

.

I am the grandson of the kampung pak imam . But my behaviour back then does not reflect my late grandfather stature. I mixed with a diverse lot of people from the local kampung gangster to a mental retard which we nicknamed DIN PUTING.

.

Din puting lived not far from my grandfather house and if i'm not mistaken he lived in one of the squatter houses which was built directly above the sea(not sure on the exact terms for this kind of houses).As a kid i used to teased him as he would always kept a pacifier(puting) in his pocket whenever he went for a prayer in the kampung madrasah and that's how we nicknamed him DIN PUTING. He was very poor and if i'm not mistaken he was the only child with an ageing parent . The last time that i met him was two years back during hari raya and that was after nearly 18 years since we last met. Suprisingly he still recognised me and he told me that i was the grandson of the late pak imam.I feel touched by his gesture and physically he doesn't look fit . It was hari raya with people around him in their glitzy clothing and there was DIN PUTING with his faded baju melayu . I was told back then that his parent had passed away and his been living with his aunty .

.

4 days back , i was told by my parents that he had passed away due to an accident . According to my parent he had been hit by a car while crossing the road. I had known that he had poor eyesight and probably his eyesight had deteriorated over the years and he did not see an incoming car .

.

I am not related in any way to him but yet deep inside i feel a deep loss by his demised . We had led a different life but there was a point where our lives met and looking back at where i am now and what he had gone through in life made me feel how lucky i am to be alive with my family . Indeed there was a HIKMAH in his demised and although he had led a difficult life in this world i believe there is a special place for people like him in the heaven. AL- FATIHAH...

4 comments: